Happy to attend KubeCon Shanghai 2018 this Nov. Thanks to VMware PKS project.
What Chinese Kubernetes Market looks like? And Chinese Kubernetes Technical Community.
Here are some of my key takeways from the Conference. What do you think?
Life in Shanghai, China
I’m not new to Shanghai. Back to 2008, four years working experience there. So I already know the city pretty well.
Born and raise in China enables me to catch up with the latest changes.
However I’m still amazed to see how deep the city or the country lives in the digital world. Everybody is doing almost everything via smart phones by default.
- In restaurants, no need to ask waiters for the bills. Pay by cellphone, and leave directly.
- Purchasing any ticket via mobile apps. Subway, taxi, train, bus, you name it.
- Barcode everywhere. taobao.com/jd.com any time.
Advice for your future Chinese trips?
- Get WeChat app installed
- No Google Suite
- A Chinese sim card
There are tons of free Wi-Fi. But without a Chinese phone number? You can’t use any. Without Internet here, you’re literally handicapped. No kidding.
Kubernetes In Public Cloud
Here are the big players: alicloud, huawei cloud, and tecent cloud.
- 1. alicloud: public cloud from alibaba. A decent one.
With alicloud kubernetes service, you can specify the machine for worker vm per node. Instead of per node pool.
- 2. Tencent cloud
- 3. HuaWei cloud
- 4. Jd cloud: jdos for across cluster scaling; invisible for k8s; bare metal
Kubernetes In Private cloud
- IBM ImbCloud
Across region traffic is free. All vms provides both data nic and management nics.
- Redhat/IBM openshift
Information Via Booths & Talks
- Federations: caicloud, huawei cloud
- Ant finance Node operator: use operator to do admin task. Kube-on-kube
- lighting talk:gaming system use k8s
VMware PKS workshop in KubeCon.
Interested in VMware PKS job opportunities? Ping me in LinkedIn. (Please find the link in below).